Cracking the flags!

Dragging my mum and Hubby-to-be around wedding fairs across Yorkshire made me realise one thing – weddings are EXPENSIVE! I also came to the conclusion that everything that I saw and liked could be made by my own fair hands… and why not?! I’d seen over-priced origami flowers; hire companies telling me that some of the cute finishing touches that I’d wanted would cost a small fortune to rent; pick & mix carts, letter boxes, centre pieces all costing faaaar too much!

I made it my mission to do as much as I could myself and on a budget! I looked up origami flowers online, decided to make as much of my own bunting as I could and started collecting various jars and vases – I became the first stop before the recycling bins for my friends! boxes and boxes of jars that just needed cleaning up! And then came the charity shop trawls – I refused to pay over £1.50 for a vase.

My handmade wedding was a go! Origami flowers would be made from patterned paper, finished with various buttons and pearls; bunting would cover the room; jars would be decorated with gingham ribbon; vases would be tied with lace and filled with fairy lights; tables would be dressed with crocheted doilies – I even made my own table number holders.

The last thing we wanted was a ‘uniform’ day of two colours – eurgh… how dull! Pastels were the way forward! Spots, stripes, gingham, florals… the world of patterns was our oyster! Nothing would match, but everything would ‘fit’.

When asked what our ‘theme’ was I would answer that there was no real theme. I could see that people couldn’t visualise it – all the different colours, patterns, textures (I’ll get on to that later) but I just had to smile and assure them that I wasn’t going mad and that it’d all work out in the end! My Fiancé put his complete faith in me and let me take control of everything! It was so exciting!

God bless my mother and her faith in my need for a sewing machine! I got my first ever sewing machine for christmas and there was no stopping me! I took myself down to the local haberdashers and stocked up on bias binding and a couple of stacks of quarters of various fabrics. From then on I took great pleasure in throwing together great lengths of bunting and proudly displaying them around the house for Richard to find.

I started the mammoth task of paper folding too. I needed at least 100 flowers, all with 5 petals, each petal being on piece of paper to fold!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s